The best teacher of Ukraine according to the Global Teacher Prize Ukraine 2018 award became Alexander Zhuk
This was announced on October 7 on live TV channel 1+1.
He is a computer science teacher from Zaporizhzhia, who not only learned sign language, shares the subtleties of IT with children and created an energy team, but for three years in a row he has won the mathematical competition in oral calculus.
The winner received 250 thousand hryvnias (over 10 thousand dollars) and one year of free education from “Osvitoria”. And in March 2019, he will be able to attend the Global Education & Skills Forum 2019 in Dubai, where he will meet the best teachers in the world and famous people in education.
Over the course of 3.5 months (from April 15 to August 1), the organizers received 1915 nominations for the award. On October 31, we announced TOP-10 finalists, among which the jury selected Alexander.
The jury included:
- Chairman of the “Osvitoria” Zoya Lytvyn,
- TV presenter “1+1” and curator of the award Natalya Mosiechuk,
- Finalist of the Global Teacher Prize 2018 Marjorie Brown,
- Initiator and inspirer of the EdCamp educational movement in Ukraine, Alexander Elkin
- Deputy Minister of Education and Science of Ukraine Pavel Hobsey,
- Winner of Global Teacher Prize Ukraine 2017 Paul Pshenichka,
- Child family psychologist Svitlana Roys,
- Participant of the popular Open Kids band Anya Bobrovskaya,
- Author of ROLF’S project Valentin Fretchka.
- Remind, that the Global Teacher Prize Ukraine is the annual national award for agents of educational change. The award is intended to commemorate teachers’ achievements not only for their students but also for society, and to emphasize the importance of educators in Ukraine. The National Prize was established in 2017 by PA Osvitoria after signing a memorandum with the Varkey GEMS Foundation, which is the organizer of the worldwide version of this award.